The roof is an integral part of any building structure. Without the roof, it is safe to say buildings would be incomplete, would be uncomfortable and not offer any protection for the inhabitants. But to keep your roof in its best possible condition, you need to maintain it regularly.
I will show you how you can maintain your roofs in this article. Peradventure, you are looking for a roofing contractor to help you fix the roof of your building, check out Denver Roofing Company.
- Cut off overhanging tree branches: the safe distance between trees and a house should be about 10 feet. But yet, having a tree near your house does not spell doom, just make sure you trim off the overhanging branches on a regular basis. Overhanging branches are a sure way of getting leaves on your roof which may decay into moss. They also give rodents like squirrels access to cause damage on the roof.
- Check the shingles: regularly check the roof for damaged or missing shingles. During many of these inspections confirm that the shingles are still installed properly and are functioning alright.
- Scrub off mosses: if mosses are allowed to thrive on your roof, it may give your roof a beautiful green camouflage but this benefit is nothing compared to the damage it will cause. Mosses may grow to the point where they damage the roof, cause leakages. Clearing mosses is not an easy job, you may need to hire a professional to handle it.
- Does your roof have enough ventilation and insulation: check your house’s attic to see if there is enough air circulation for the roof components. You may need to employ the service of professionals to assess if your attic really has the right amount of insulation/ventu=ilation. Inadequate ventilation and insulation will cause the roof to mould out.
- Regularly unclog the gutters? The roof gutters exist to channel water, leaves, other debris away from the roof whenever it rains. There could be instances where some of these debrises clog the gutters and prevent water from flowing out. This is why it is important to regularly inspect your roof to unclog the gutters.
- Avoid ice dams on your roof: I will save you from the process of how ice dams occur but the key thing you must know is that it happens after snowing and if left unchecked it will damage your roof, and the support beams by causing the roof to leak. To get rid of ice dams revisit your attic to assess whether there is enough ventilation.
- Check out for rust and corrosion: excessive rainfall or snowing may cause the roof to begin rusting or corroding. You may have to contact professional roofing contractors whenever your roof is corroding to replace the affected portion.
- Regularly inspect the flashing: The flashing helps to keep the water falling from the roof away from areas you do not want them to fall. Flashings are the strips of metal that run along roof edges or joints. They could be made from any of the following materials: galvanized metal, lead, or aluminium. Whenever the flashing is broken at any point you can fix it by caulking. From my observation, lead is a better flashing material because they are more durable and require little to no maintenance at all.
Your roof may not last long enough for you to implement any of the aforementioned measures if it was not properly installed in the first place. This is why you must contract the service of a reputable and competent contractor when it comes to fixing your roofing needs.