Breast reduction surgery is becoming very common in India and Mumbai. As the name states, the surgeon will remove some breast tissues and outer skin, reposition the nipples and make your breasts look smaller. The process is painless as you will be under the effect of general anesthesia.
Why the Procedure Is Performed
Breast reduction surgery in India may be recommended if you have very large breasts (macromastia) resulting in pain severe enough to disturb life quality. It can also cause shoulder or neck pain and mild to severe headaches.
- Chronic nerve issues arising as a result of bad posture can cause numbness and hands or arms tingling.
- Sometimes, bra straps can cause chronic grooves, rashes, and scars on the skin due to heavy breasts, making it very difficult for you to find the right size of clothes.
- Very large breasts can get you a lot of unwanted attention that can make you feel awkward.
- You can’t participate in any strenuous activities and sports.
Some non-surgical options may not be as effective as surgery but can help slightly. These include shoulder and back muscle strength training exercises, weight loss, and wearing supportive bras.
Reduction Mammoplasty Procedure (Breast Reduction Surgery)
The surgery includes 3 incisions, around the dark nipple area, from the areola cut to the lower breast crease, and along the lower crease to open the breast. After the incisions, the surgeon will remove extra skin, tissues, and fat cells from the breast. For aesthetic purposes, the areola and nipple area are moved up and if the areola size is larger it is cut to make it smaller.
Then these incisions are closed with sutures. The surgery is often coupled with liposuction for improving the shape and contouring of breasts and armpits.
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia and will take around 3 to 5 hours depending on the complexity of the procedure.
Risks involved with breast reduction surgery
Several risks can happen in any surgery including breathing issues, clots, reactions to certain medicines, infection, and bleeding.
Surgery specific risks include:
- Some women have trouble breastfeeding and some are even unable to lactate their babies
- Scarring can take a long time
- Damage to nerves in the nipple area resulting in complete loss of sensation
- Uneven breast size and nipple position may become unleveled
Consultation before the surgery
Your surgeon might recommend a mammogram to assess the breast cancer risk a few months before the surgery and might recommend further biopsy and imaging tests.
You must inform your surgeon if you are trying to be pregnant, or using any kind of drugs, herbs, or supplements without any prescription.
Your doctor will also ask you to stop certain medicines like Advil, Aspirin, Jantoven, and others. Also, if you are a smoker, you’ll need to quit smoking.
Where to get Breast Reduction Surgery in Mumbai?
For breast reduction surgery in Mumbai, Dr. Siddharth Prakash is a highly qualified Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon at Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai. He is an alumnus of KEM Hospital in Mumbai and Harvard Medical School, Boston.