Hazardous work environments require one to be dressed appropriately. One common injury among workers in any workplace is foot injuries brought upon by a lack of proper work gear. I’m talking, of course, about safety shoes. Believe it or not, foot-related injuries are as severe as any other injury. Discomfort when working can bring injury if an object is hitting your foot. You will therefore require the proper footwear for your job.
Safety boots are shoes that are fitted with a variety of fittings, depending on your requirements. We commonly regard them as rigged boots. A safety boot is a simple decision for you for people who work in hazardous environments such as construction sites or chemical plants.
Features of a good safety boot in Kenya
Let’s take an in-depth look at the structure that makes up a good safety boot;
1. Toe cap
Manufacturers can make safety boot toe caps out of steel, aluminum, composite material, or thermoplastic polyurethane. Since they make safety boots for different purposes, the toe cap material will vary from boot to boot. However, the standard safety boot should be able to withstand 100 joules of force.
The upper of the safety boot material will depend on the working conditions. Synthetic and textile are more breathable and will make safety boots suitable for hot weather. Leather is also used to create uppers, and it is a suitable material for environments with hazards such as the risk of chemical spills.
The lining of the boot is the part that has direct contact with the foot. You, therefore, need to make a safety boot out of materials that are breathable, dry quickly when they absorb moisture. Different materials can make the inner lining, such as leather, cotton, and wool. Don’t forget that the lining material should also be soft not to injure the foot when working.
They design the insoles to ensure the comfort of the wearer. Manufacturers will therefore make the insole out of breathable materials and quick-drying once exposed to moisture. The material preferred for insoles is leather or wool, which offers durability too.
Manufacturers make the outsole out of a firm material such as thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), rubber, or polyurethane. These materials have unique characteristics and build, and it is vital to consider all these factors before making your purchase.
What are the hazards a safety boot in Kenya should protect?
At the turn of the 20th century, there was increased awareness of having the proper attire to work on job sites such as construction and steel manufacturing plants. It became cheaper for companies to provide workers with workwear than pay out injury compensations.
Safety boots in Kenya should protect workers from;
- Safety boots should offer protection against falling objects – Most foot injuries are caused by falling on them. A good safety boot should protect your foot against the impact, and in the event it gets stuck under something, your toe cap should allow you to wiggle out your foot.
- A safety boot should protect you against punctures – The choice of your outsole is essential. When you work in an environment where metal and glass pieces are likely to pierce your foot, you need to choose your outsole.
- Safety boots should protect your foot against cutting–If you work in environments where you use cutting materials, choose a safety boot with an uppercut resistance. A leather upper will be a suitable option for you.
- Your safety boot should protect you against electrocution. People working in areas with high static electricity will need safety boots that conduct the electricity, and people working with direct electricity will need non-conductive safety boots.
- Non-slip safety boots–The choice of your outsole is again critical. It would be best to choose a safety boot with an outsole that will protect you from terrible falls.
- Safety boots should protect you against burns–If you work in environments where there are risks of chemical or molten metal burns, you need to choose a safety boot that will ensure the safety of your feet.
With work safety being commonplace in today’s organization, it is prudent to have the proper attire when working. Choose the right safety boot that will ensure your protection and comfort.