What is Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery, and eyelift are all names of the cosmetic surgery procedure used to treat droopiness of eyelids and remove bags under the eyes. The plastic surgeon will remove excess fat, skin, and muscle to make your eyes appear youthful and appealing.
Drooping eyelids are a normal part of aging. Eye muscles become weak with the passage of time and eyelids become stretched. This results in loose skin and the fat deposits in the eyelids causing them to appear wrinkled and drooped and resulting in the formation of eye bags.
Who is it for?
Blepharoplasty is a cosmetic procedure mainly known for its aesthetic purposes. But here are some more reasons for you to consider this procedure.
- Blepharoplasty is the treatment of choice if your eyelids are drooped and are making it difficult for you to open your eyes completely.
- Apart from making you look aged, drooping and sagging of eyelids can cause problems with your peripheral vision too. Blepharoplasty can help you regain normal vision and prevent it from getting worse.
- Bags or fat deposits under your eyes with wrinkled skin on lower eyelids can be treated with blepharoplasty.
This widely popular procedure is available in Mumbai too. If you have any of the above-mentioned signs, you can contact the best plastic surgeon in Mumbai and make an online appointment to consult about this procedure.
What should I Know While About This Procedure?
The duration of surgery depends on the fact if you are going for upper eyelid surgery only or upper and lower eyelids both. Blepharoplasty can be performed in an outpatient setting or in a surgeon’s clinic. The complete procedure can take up to 2 hours. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
The surgeon starts the surgery with the upper eyelid by making a small incision and removing the extra fat, muscle, and loose skin then stitching the upper eyelid up.
Next, he or she will make a cut under your eye crease and remove the extra fat and tissue from there, and close the incision with sutures.
You can go home on the same day the surgery is performed. You might experience blurred vision, watery eyes, pain, swelling, soreness, and sensitivity to light after surgery.
It is generally recommended to take the following steps after going through blepharoplasty.
- Use ice packs to ease soreness and swelling on your eyelids according to your surgeon’s recommended time and duration.
- Use your prescribed ointments as advised.
- It is recommended to wear dark shade goggles to protect your eyes against sunlight and wind.
- Do not rub your eyes.
- Do not use your contact lenses.
- It is advised to avoid any strenuous work like lifting heavy objects.
- Use a higher pillow while sleeping to keep your head above your chest level.
- Get your stitches removed as per your surgeon’s advice.
- You might need to discontinue some medications like ibuprofen and naproxen. Consult your surgeon regarding your ongoing medications and ask him or her to suggest alternatives if needed.
How Good are the Results?
Blepharoplasty has a high satisfaction among people who have undergone this procedure. Results are instant and long-lasting, especially for lower eyelid surgery. Aging is an inevitable factor and cannot be stopped. Still, the upper eyelid surgery can last for 5 to 7 years and even more.
Blepharoplasty is a popular and equally safe cosmetic procedure done worldwide. The success of this procedure is also dependent on the qualification of the plastic surgeon you choose.
Dr. Siddharth Prakash is a renowned Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon practicing at Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai. He is an alumnus of KEM Hospital, Mumbai, and Harvard Medical School, Boston. He is considered the best plastic surgeon in Mumbai with excellent results.