What is Breast Reduction or Reduction Mammoplasty?
Breast reduction surgery comes under the cosmetic surgery performed to reduce the size of the breasts. It is also known as reduction mammography. The plastic surgeon or the cosmetic surgeon will remove the fat, glandular tissue, or stretchy skin from your breast to make them smaller and firmer. This procedure will help you get a more proportionate body according to your preference.
Dr. Siddharth Prakash is a renowned Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon practicing at Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai. He is an alumnus of KEM Hospital, Mumbai, and Harvard Medical School, Boston. He specializes in cosmetic procedures including breast reduction surgery and is the best plastic surgeon in Mumbai.
Problems With Large Breasts
The breast size that is larger than the rest of your body can impact your life in many ways.
- Large breasts can give you a disproportionate figure leading to emotional challenges of dealing with low self-esteem and confidence.
- Large breasts can put extra weight anteriorly on your body that can lead to pain and discomfort in your neck, back, and upper shoulders. If remained persistent, this can lead to more chronic musculoskeletal pain conditions.
- Some males can also have enlarged breasts, a condition that is known as gynecomastia. They can also be a candidate for this cosmetic procedure.
Types of Breast Reduction
There are 3 common types of breast reduction procedures. You can choose the more appropriate one for you after discussing it with your plastic surgeon.
This procedure is for you if you need only a minor reduction in your breast size. The surgeon will make a small incision in your breast and suck the fat out using a small tube. It is a minimally invasive procedure and recovery is quick.
Vertical or Lollipop
You can go for this option if you need a moderate reduction in your breast size. This procedure involves two incision sites, one around the areola and a vertical one from the areola to the inferior breast fold. The surgeon will then remove the fat and the glandular tissue before closing the incisions.
Inverted-T or Anchor
This option is for women who want maximum breast size reduction. It involves three incisions; one around the areola, the second from the areola to the inferior breast crease, and the last one in the inferior breast fold.
Guidelines About the Procedure
Here are a few things that you might need to consider when going for breast reduction surgery.
- Breast reduction surgery takes 2 to 3 hours depending upon the extent of the tissue you want to be removed.
- This procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
- This procedure involves moving the nipples to a new position, removing the unwanted breast tissue, skin, and fat, and finally reshaping the breasts into a new shape.
- Your chest will be wrapped in bandages and small draining tubes will be placed to remove excess blood and fluid.
- This operation requires 1 to 2 days of hospital stay.
- You will feel pain and swelling in your breasts for a couple of weeks. Your surgeon will prescribe painkillers for the pain and tenderness.
- Recovery can take up to 6 weeks.
- You will need to avoid strenuous activities for 6 weeks.
- Consult with your surgeon about what activities you can resume at a certain time frame.
- You will either need to get your stitches removed as per your surgeon’s guidelines or your structures will dissolve on their own.
If your quality of life is being affected because of the large breast size then it is advisable to not delay the treatment. You can make an online appointment with the best plastic surgeon in Mumbai to start discussing your best option.