It is a fabric woven or knitted cloth that is usually used to cover up crops, therefore protecting them from harsh weather conditions and pests. Shade clothes are durable and they can last for about 20 years or even longer depending on factors such as the location and the method of installation. Shade canvas has a high resistance to agrochemicals and can be recycled.
How shade nets are made
Mainly, the shade canvas is made by knitting or weaving. Those that are woven are usually made of polypropylene, entirely. They are best known to withstand the harsh weather conditions during winter. Therefore, it is advisable to use in areas that experience winter.
Shade canvas that is made by knitting is composed of polyethylene blend. Knitted shade canvas withstands extreme heat. They deflect light and heat hence protecting crops from ultra violet rays. Shade net Kenya can often be attainedin many high quality varieties depending on your use.
Advantages of knitted shade clothes
- They have a high resistance to ultraviolet light.
- Their knitting design prevents damage of crops from strong winds.
- They are easy to install. They do not require specialist to do the installation.
- Knitted shade clothes give room for stretching and also shrinkage.
- They are more long lasting.
- They have a high resistance to agrochemicals hence maximum safety to the crops.
- Knitted shade clothes cannot be easily tear up.
- They do not allow building up of heat hence prevent excess heat to the crops.
They are mostly used in greenhouses, hot houses and shade houses.
Advantages of woven shade clothes
- They allow building up of more heat within them.
- They stabilize ultraviolet rays so that they can withstand extreme conditions.
- They are heavy and therefore they can resist wear and tear.
They are usually used for wind screens, shading patios, crop solar protection, privacy screens and pet kennels.
Shade cloth percentage and their suitability
1. Green colored 50% shade clothes
These are more suitable for crops that require a shade that is more partial. It has a high durability and it protect crops from excess sun and dust. They can be used in windows and balcony covers, covers used for industrial machinery, home roofs and in outdoor and indoor curtains.
They are also used for crop protection. This includes some of the orchid varieties, nursery stock and crops such as: lettuce, Pepper, cabbage, lettuce, pot plants, irises, caladiums, and geraniums.
2. Green colored 80 % shade clothe
It usually ranges from 75 -80%. Increase in the percentage of a shade clothe means an increase in the amount of sunlight being blocked. It is used as protection barriers domestically.
These types of shade clothes are used for plants that require maximum shade. They are more suitable in domestic shading, livestock shading, silt fencing, protection barriers for buildings, awnings, orchids and olive trees.
To choose the correct density of knitted shade clothes, you should mostly consider the location where you need to install it. This is done in terms of the temperature in the area, amount of rain the area receives, humidity and the intensity of wind. For the color, it depends on the effect the crops require.
When choosing a shade net for greenhouses, you should go for the dark colored ones for crops that need a maximum cooling effect and the light colored ones for plants that require minimum cooling effect and UV light protection.