It’s mad to think that many people who are alive today existed before ‘social media’ was even a thing. Today, it plays a huge role in all of our lives – and an even bigger role in the way that modern brands do business! But, how big a role does social media play in digital marketing and should you be investing in it? Read on and let’s take a closer look.
Social media marketing is one of nine digital marketing methods
First of all, it’s important to recognise that social media marketing is one of nine digital marketing methods. As such, social media can play as big or small a role in your broader digital marketing efforts as you like. The other digital marketing methods include:
- Email marketing
- Content marketing
- Video marketing
- Affiliate / influencer marketing
- Mobile marketing
- Audio marketing
- Social media marketing
Social media marketing can bind your other marketing strategies together
While your website is effectively the central ‘beating heart’ of your digital marketing efforts, your social media platforms can also be used to increase your overall reach – and effectively blind all other marketing strategies together. For example:
- Your Video marketing content can be uploaded to YouTube, and then shared on your Facebook and/or LinkedIn page.
- Informational snippets from your blog posts (content marketing) can be repurposed and made into individual Tweets or made into Instagram carousels.
- Partnering with the perfect TikTok influencer can help grow your following.
- Your weekly newsletter posts can include snippets from various socials.
- You can embed your Facebook reviews onto your website.
As you can see, having a strong social media presence and being active on a variety of different social media platforms can be incredibly valuable for encouraging your overall ‘reach’. It also strongly increases the opportunity for your content to be shared, engaged with, and even linked to from other websites.
While this doesn’t directly impact your SEO, there are a number of ways in which social media can ‘indirectly’ benefit your SEO via a multitude of ‘social signals’.
Social media goes well beyond digital marketing
It’s also important to understand that social media can benefit your brand and business in so many other ways. Yes, it can bolster your wider digital marketing strategy, however, it’s also a perfect way to:
- Engage with your audience in a meaningful way
- Establish your authority
- Build brand-recognition
- Collect positive feedback and reviews (social proof is incredibly valuable)
- Provide more opportunity for potential customers to find your contact information and reach out to you
Conclusion: Develop a solid social media marketing strategy today
Whichever way you look at it; proper social media marketing can bring immense value to your business. Whether a small business or a large and long-established organisation, you must leverage the power of social media to your advantage.
The best part? It is also something that you can outsource to the experts. If the thought of strategizing a social media marketing campaign and constantly thinking up new content to create scares you, rest assured that there’s a digital marketing agency out there that can not only manage this for you – but they can also help you work on every other form of digital marketing as well.
After all, the bigger the net, the more fish you’ll catch!