In many cases, conversational AI and chatbots are used to describe the same thing. Though it is valid to some extent, these have great differences. Moreover, in a business setting, those differences are very important.
So, given below discusses Conversational AI and chatbots and also how Conversational AI is more useful than chatbots.
What is a chatbot?
A chatterbot or chatbot is a special kind of software application that can easily stimulate or conduct an online conversation through text. The users can interact or communicate via voice or the chat interface, just like they do with a real human.
Chatbots can process and interpret the phrases or words of the user and give a pre-set answer immediately. Many organizations use these chatbots to interact with their customers along with the traditional ways like email, phone, and social media.
Why is chatbot important?
A chatbot is sometimes described as one of the advanced and special ways of creating proper communication between machines and human beings. However, to describe from a technological point of view, a chatbot is the representation of the evolution of a question answering system.
How does a chatbot work?
Chatbots mainly perform two types of works:
1. Analyzing user request
The first task of a chatbot is to analyze the request of the user. This is followed by identifying the user’s intent and extracting related and relevant information.
This is a very crucial task of a chatbot because if it can’t understand the request of the user, it will not be able to provide the right answer.
2. Offering the response
After identifying the intent of the user, the chatbot offers the most appropriate answer for their request.
What is Conversational AI?
Conversational AI is a set of several technologies behind automated messaging and speech-induced applications that can help in the communication between machines and humans.
Conversational AI uses techniques like Processing Natural Language, Automatic Speech Recognition, Machine Learning, and Advanced Dialog management and works by learning and reacting from every interaction.
How does Conversational AI work?
- First of all, the application gets the information input from the human that can be either spoken phrase or written text. After getting the input, the technology tries to decipher the meaning of those words and translates them into a format that is machine-readable.
- After that, the application tries to understand the meaning to understand the intention behind the text.
- Then, the application creates the response based on that intent and converts them into a format that is understandable by humans.
- Next, the application delivers the answer either through speech synthesis and creates a speech version or in text.
- Lastly, the component is also responsible for improving the application if needed and offers a better response in the future.
Difference between Conversational AI and a chatbot
The applications of Conversational AI can be programmed with different levels of complexity resulting in completely different products. So, in business, this can be used as a personal assistant to interact with the customers and automate many operations.
However, the chatbot is not so helpful in this case, as they do not use NLP or machine learning, or dialog management to improve themselves over time.
So, there is no doubt that Conversational AI is much more advanced than chatbots and thus is more useful than chatbots to work in a more effective way.