Grain hopper trailers are vital equipment that makes storage and hauling of gain much simpler and efficient. For those in the agribusiness sector, a grain hopper trailer plays a big role in facilitating operations and growing a business.
Nonetheless, not all grain hopper trailers are made or designed in the same manner. According to experts from Hales Trailer, the type of hopper trailer you choose should be able to withstand the amount of work that you will subject it to.
When looking for hopper bottom trailers for sale, there are certain considerations that you should take into account to ensure that you are buying the right truck. Below are some of the things you should consider:
1. Safety features
This is one of the most important considerations when looking for a new grain hopper trailer. Any person who works or has worked in the grain hauling sector definitely understands how dangerous the whole process can be.
Here are a few safety features one should always consider:
- Safety ropes: the ropes are meant to allow operators to easily get in and out of the trailer without tripping.
- Sidewall mirrors: The windows allow the operator to view their products safely and easily. It decreases the number of times an operator needs to climb into the trailer to check the load.
- Anti-lock brake system(ABS): Most grain hopper trailers don’t come with ABS, something that increases the risk of jackknifing.
- Electric tarp: instead of struggling against the wind when trying to tack down a tarp, the modern electric tarp allows you to easily close and open that trailer’s tarp.
2. Long-term maintenance
One of the major concerns for people purchasing grain hopper trailers is the high cost of maintenance. As such, it is important to consider the maintenance cost when choosing a hopper trailer.
For instance, buying a used hopper trailer may save you some bucks. However, you should also be prepared to deal with the frequent maintenance cost that comes with it.
3. Go for improved suspension
Because of the kind of work they are designed for, grain hopper trailers come with heavy in-built suspension systems. But modern trailers have improved suspension systems that perform much better than factory models.
The most common types of suspension systems found on most grain hopper trailers include air suspension systems and leaf springs.
4. Consider the number of axles
This is another key factor to consider when buying a grain hopper trailer. You need to decide whether you need a single axle, a dual axle, or a triple axle trailer.
The type number of axles you need boils down to the amount of work or hauling your hopper trailer will be doing. Ensure that you select an axle that’s able to comfortably support the heavier load you plan to haul.
5. Buy from a trusted dealer
Last but not least, you also need to carefully consider where you are buying a grain hopper trailer. Choose a dealer who has enough experience and a good reputation in different types of trucks and trailers.
In general, choosing the best grain trailer can sometimes be challenging. You need to consider several factors in order to make the right decision.