How to Fill Out Form I-131

Getting the right form is important to making sure you receive your travel document. The USCIS will not issue an emergency travel document unless you meet the requirements. If you do not meet the requirements you could be in removal proceedings. You could also end up paying a fee.

The USCIS website has some information about Form I-131. You should check this page first to make sure you are on the right track. I 131 Form has eight parts. Each part relates to a different type of travel document. You should fill out each section and make sure to mark the correct boxes. You should also sign the appropriate spaces and write your Alien Registration Number and name in the bottom of each sheet. If you need more space you should fill out a separate sheet as a supporting document.

The USCIS website also has a page that lists the processing times for Form I-131. The processing time is usually about three months. It is also important to note that USCIS cannot guarantee the exact time frame for processing. The USCIS website also provides information about how to expedite processing for emergency situations. If you have an emergency and need your travel document fast you may qualify for expedited processing.

The best way to fill out Form I-131 is to use your real name. You should also fill out the best box. If you do not know the answer to a question on the form, you may want to leave the question empty. You may also want to include an explanation of why you are traveling. For example, if you have a family member in the hospital you can include a letter from the doctor stating the reason for your travel.

You should also include a photo of yourself. You will need to bring two passport-sized photos with you. You may also want to bring a copy of your application package and a receipt notice from your green card application. Lastly, you will need to bring your Form I-131 to your local USCIS office. You may also file your form electronically. You should also bring a copy of your receipt notice if you submitted your application electronically.

If you have a green card you may need to fill out Form I-131. You may also want to consider applying for a reentry permit if you have been outside the U.S. for more than one year. If you do apply for a reentry permit you may be able to avoid having your permanent resident card invalidated. You may also want to apply for an advance parole travel document, which allows you to travel back and forth between the United States and your home country. You can apply for this type of document if you are a refugee and need to return to your home country after a period of time. You may also be able to get an emergency travel document if you are in the hospital and need to travel to your home country. Visit for more information.

Hot Topics

Related Articles