What is Yoga?
Yoga is the art of finding peace of body, mind, and soul. It is an ancient art and practice that has been brought down and practiced through ages. The art and science of yoga have been perfected and modified over generations and have numerous benefits.
Yoga can benefit an individual not only externally but also internally. It is known to cure all kinds of diseases and health problems. The advantages of this ancient and well-known art can be experienced at the 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh.
What is Mental Health?
Mental Health is a very well-known and common problem in today’s world. Several types of research have shown that one out of three people in this world has suffered from mental health issues. It is difficult to combat mental health because not only is it hard to recognize but also people always tend to ignore it.
While it can be seen that mental health is very common these days it can also prove to be detrimental to one’s health. Mental Health problems tend to include depression, negative thoughts, stress anxiety. It is very important to cure and improve mental health for a good quality of life.
Can yoga help cure Mental Health?
With the increase in the occurrences and awareness of mental health-related problems, more and more people are turning towards curing them. While it can be cured through therapy, people don’t often resort to the same as it is quite expensive. Some people take the help of yoga to work on their mental health-related problems.
Various researches have shown that mental health problems can be cured with the help of certain yoga asanas. Several yoga poses are specifically dedicated to working on conditions like stress anxiety and negative thoughts. Therefore, it is true that mental health issues can be cured through yoga.
Ways to improve mental health through yoga?
Among the tremendous amount of health benefits of the art of yoga the wonders it creates on one’s mental health are very important. This is because there are very few exercise techniques and researches dedicated to mental health problems. Thus in this article, we will focus on how one can work on their mental health problems through yoga.
There are many yoga asanas that you can perform to cure and improve your mental health. Some of them are as follows:
- Uttanasana also called the Forward Bent Pose:
The Uttanasana is a pose that has many internal body benefits. This asana is particularly useful for the mind and relaxation. You can perform this pose as follows:
- First, you need to stand straight up.
- After that, you must join your two legs and feet by keeping them together.
- After this slowly try to bring your body down to touch your feet.
- With more practice, you will slowly be able to bend your body completely.
The Uttanasana has a variety of benefits. It helps to release energy in the body that in turn helps to relieve stress. Furthermore, the asana also helps to increase flexibility and reduce negative thoughts over time. It is by far one of the best asanas for good mental health.
- Balasana or the Baby Pose:
This yoga asana is called the baby pose because on performing the same, one looks like a baby. This asana has remarkable effects on the body and is relatively easy to perform. You can perform this asana by following these steps:
- First, you need to sit on your knees on the yoga mat.
- Make sure that your legs and knees are together.
- Then bend your knees in a sitting position.
- After this, you need to bend your upper body over your knees towards the ground.
- Hold the pose for a while.
The balasana plays an important role in stretching your hips and lower back muscles. This helps to relieve stress. Additionally, this asana improves the functioning of the circulatory system.
This helps the body and mind to achieve a state of calmness. The balasana or the baby pose is an instrumental pose to combat anxiety and depression problems.
- Pranayama or the breathing exercise:
Pranayama is one of the most commonly known and famous yoga asanas. This asana is also often practiced by people who are not involved in yoga actively. This asana can be practiced as follows:
- First, you need to sit down in a cross-legged position on the floor or the yoga mat.
- You need to make sure that your back is straight and stretched.
- After this, you need to inhale from your left nostril while pressing your right nostril and exhaling through the right one while covering the left.
- After this inhale through the right nostril and exhale through the left.
- Continue this exercise for a few rounds.
On performing this yoga asana continuously you can see that you can block depressing and negative thoughts from coming to you. This helps you to improve the quality of your life by staying positive and improving your mental health.
If you are a complete beginner and want to learn in-depth about the breathing techniques, then you can join the in-person 100 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh and get to learn the beginner level techniques of this.
Furthermore, the pranayama is a cure and is often recommended to be practiced when someone is having a mental breakdown or having anxiety attacks. This is because during these times the body and mind are in chaos and this asana helps to calm the mind and settle the heart. Thus pranayama is one of the best yoga asanas to cure mental health problems.
- The Shavasana also called the Corpse Pose:
The Shavasana is also known as the corpse pose is probably one of the easiest yoga poses. It can be said that this asana is particularly designed to help calm the body. It is called the corpse pose because this asana needs you to stop breathing and stay still as a corpse.
This asana has tremendous health benefits and can be performed regularly for best results. To perform the Shavasana or the corpse pose you need to follow these steps:
- Lie down on the floor or yoga mat.
- After this, you need to stretch your hand and legs apart.
- You have to relax while performing this asana as this is the main aim of this pose.
- While performing this asana you need to think about happy thoughts.
- Then breathe normally for a while and then hold your breath.
- Repeat this for a while and then stand up.
On performing this asana you will immediately feel a bit more relaxed and happy than you earlier were. This is because this asana helps you to relieve stress by cutting off oxygen flow for a while. This also helps to calm the mind and drive your body towards focusing on positive thoughts and to disregard the negative ones.
The Savasana tends to work on and boast mental well-being by improving one’s patience, respiratory problems, and concentration. It also helps to ensure that you have fewer occurrences of anxiety attacks when under stress. Overall this asana sees to it that you have great mental health over time.
You can experience all the above-mentioned asanas and more at the 300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh. Thus we can see that yoga asana and poses indeed help to work on and improve one’s mental health. The tremendous benefits and huge scope of the art of yoga make it not only an exercise but a way of life in itself.