When preparing for gender affirmation surgery, specific factors need consideration. Hence, experts guide those individuals who are considering gender affirmation processes. They answer the questions regarding the expectation both before and after the surgery and other related issues. It is because of many years of research and documentation that experts come up with reliable answers.
The type of care you can expect from a gender affirmation surgery
Before the process begins, international authorities mention some standard clauses that need consideration. According to Dr. Haruko Okada, these standards were formulated, by international agreement, by using the latest study materials and scientific research. It pertains to transgender health and other related factors. Hence, doctors can meet the healthcare requirements of transgender individuals and gender-nonconforming people. Also, keep in mind that the hospital follows gender affirmation surgery procedures and take references from these standards.
The possibility of conceiving after gender affirmation surgery
Various transgender people select to preserve fertility before their gender affirmation surgery. It is when they have a long term goal of having biological children of their own. For this, they have to discuss all their options like egg fertilization to a sperm bank before their physician. It will help them to formulate the best plan for family life.
Things to keep in mind, during the appointment
The appointment process before the surgical procedure includes a lot of stages. The initial interaction through the telephone with the specialist is the first step. Hence, keep the following points in mind when you indulge in the appointment:
- After you have contacted the specialist, they will review your medical history. Thereby discuss the procedure with you in detail. It will help them to develop a plan, which forms the next step.
- Documentation of your information is a crucial step, which includes pharmacy records and medical history records.
- Medical records from the primary physician help in formulating the plan. A surgical readiness referral letter from a medical health professional, which documents their evaluation assessment, is crucial.
- •You must provide information regarding over the counter medication and other prescription medicines that you take. In addition to this, insurance information is vital. Following this, you have to get into a conversation with the surgeon after an appointment with them.
- It involves an assessment of the medical status and your present condition for undergoing the surgical procedure. In addition to this, discussion regarding the long term goals of gender affirmation procedure and assessing the method is crucial. It will help you to go about the process smoothly.
- You have to get into the details of the procedure. It includes the benefits, risks, and your expectation from the surgery.
Also, preoperative anesthesia and medical evaluation form a significant step when it comes to preparing for gender affirmation surgery. Keep in mind that the changes you expect from the procedure will be biological and include updating your identification and name. You can use a resource list for gender-non confirming and transgender individuals, available on the digital platform.