Many people have insomnia and suffer from a lack of sleep. This problem can be detrimental to the health, leaving the victim drained and unproductive. There’s been research into insomnia and how to help, leading to the discovery of medications like Temazepam, one of the commonest UK Sleep Tablets.
Temazepam is an active medication in the fight against insomnia. It offers good results to insomniacs, helping them sleep better at night.
It is not bad to take Temazepam at night. However, you should follow your doctor’s prescription or read the instructions on the medication carefully. Doing this will help avoid under or overdosing on the medication.
Below are some other things you need to know about the medication to improve sleep quality.
How Temazepam Works
People living with insomnia need to learn as much as they can about medications before consuming them. For Temazepam, here are some things to note;
- Temazepam can relieve insomnia and its symptoms, including the inability to return to sleep after waking during the night.
- The medication works by enhancing the effect of GABA, a chemical transmitter that calms nerve activity in the brain.
- The medication belongs to the class of Benzodiazepines.
Advantages Of Using Temazepam
Temazepam offers a range of advantages to users, including the following;
- It offers relief for short-term insomnia and lack of sleep.
- It has sedative properties but low anxiolytic and anti-seizure effects compared to other benzodiazepines like oxazepam and diazepam.
- Available in generic form, sometimes over the counter (OTC).
Side Effects Of Using Temazepam
Temazepam can have side effects on the body, depending on who uses it. Patients between the ages of 18 and 60, with no other medical condition and on no other medication, may likely experience some of these side effects;
- Dizziness, disorientation, oversedation, drowsiness, short-term memory loss, confusion, and coordination problems.
- Possible lowering of blood pressure, especially when lying down or standing. This increases the chances of falls in young adults and seniors.
- Users may experience withdrawal symptoms, including abdominal and muscle cramps, tremors, vomiting or nausea, sweating, and a low chance of seizure. These withdrawal symptoms may be more prominent if the user has relied on Temazepam for longer periods or has increased dosage over time. Getting off this medication should be done over time by reducing intake until bearable.
- Temazepam can be addictive and can lead to dependence for sleep. It may not be a suitable recommendation for people with a history of addictive disorders or substance abuse.
- The medication should not be used during pregnancy or other physiological changes as it has been linked to an increase in birth defects.
- Temazepam should be avoided during breastfeeding.
- There have been reports of sleep-driving and related behaviors, including eating, having sex, and making phone calls due to the medication’s effect. The risks of sleep-acting increase when the user is intoxicated or inebriated.
- Temazepam may interact with other medications and active ingredients in the body to deliver additional side effects. Users should see the leaflet within the medication for a full understanding of drug interactions.
- The sleep medication may not be suitable for people with a history of psychiatric illnesses, respiratory diseases or disorders, kidney or liver diseases, or those with a history of substance abuse or dependence.
Tips On Using Temazepam
Temazepam helps people with short-term insomnia return to sleep while improving the quality of their lives. However, users could get improved results by taking the following tips.
- Take the sleep medication just before bedtime, preferably after dinner. Avoid taking the medication if you’re unlikely to be in bed soon.
- Avoid driving, operating any machinery, or performing tasks that require your attention and mental alertness after consuming the medication.
- Temazepam should be used only for short periods to avoid addiction and dependence. It can take some time to wean off the sleep medication. Contact your doctor for prolonged sleep disturbances spanning over 7 to 10 days.
- Take the medication as directed by a doctor or pharmacist. Ensure that you aren’t taking under or over the required dosage.
- The medication increases the risk of falls and accidents in young adults and seniors. It is important to provide adequate care for users to ensure they don’t suffer such accidents.
- It is important to seek medical advice if you’ve become dependent on medication for sleep. Withdrawing too quickly can have a negative effect on your health, sleep, and sleep quality.
- Report any bizarre symptoms or developments like worsened insomnia, hallucinations, aggressiveness, or others to the doctor as soon as possible.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist before getting on another medication. This is important for drug interaction purposes.
The information and tips above can help you enjoy an improved night’s sleep using Temazepam.