If you’re looking to revamp your style in the new year, you might be wondering how you can make some simple resolutions that you won’t break just a few weeks in. After all, even though about 50 percent of the population makes new year’s resolutions, it turns out only about 10 percent actually sticks to them!
The key to making commitments you can keep is all in making sure you don’t overextend yourself, and in the world of fashion, that means staying true to your own unique style.
From starting the hunt for trusty staple pieces you can turn to in a pinch (like basic tops and a crisp white pair of sneakers) to stepping just outside your comfort zone with cute accessories, here are some new year’s style resolutions you can actually stick to.
Declutter, and keep things in order.
Even if you’re not one for regular spring cleaning, the new year can offer the perfect opportunity to do a bit of closet decluttering. By taking the time to clean up your space from the start, you’ll make it so much easier to find and plan your outfits throughout the rest of the year!
- If you haven’t worn an item in years, odds are you probably won’t be bringing it back into rotation anytime soon. Go through what you have in your closet and consider donating the pieces you have forgotten about to those who will give them a happy new life.
- Use storage containers and under the bed bins to organize your wardrobe in a way that makes it easiest to find what you’re looking for. You’ll never wear what you can’t find!
- If you’re low on closet space, choose slim hangers, or even options that allow you to layer them.
If you’re not ready to commit to a deep clean just yet, that’s totally okay! As you go through the year, think about each piece you pull out of your closet and ask yourself if it’s really something you want to keep around. If you don’t remember it well and can’t picture yourself in it, then it might be time to remove it from your wardrobe.
Don’t be afraid to take (calculated) risks.
While there can be so much comfort in grabbing tried-and-true outfits from your closet, there are just as many opportunities to bring some excitement to your wardrobe. Think about how you can make small adjustments to your look, by way of trendy accessories or a fun pop of color, that will have a big impact on your style.
- That little black party dress you wear to special occasions gets a fresh new life with colorful accessories and a leopard print handbag.
- A bright, Barbie-pink skirt isn’t overpowering when it’s tempered by a chunky taupe sweater and neutral heels.
- Experiment with a hemline that’s shorter than you’d normally wear, but layer it over opaque black tights to continue feeling comfortable.
It only takes a few small changes to make your outfits feel brand new, and you don’t need to lose your personal sense of style in the process.
Start the hunt for the perfect staple pieces.
If you’ve been looking for a reason to build out a capsule wardrobe, why not let the new year be it? With so many end-of-season sales starting right after the holidays, you might be able to score the perfect staple pieces with a great deal.
- Look for a few tees in black, white, navy and beige that you can dress up or down depending on the occasion.
- You can’t go wrong with a pair of plain white sneakers. Whether you wear them out for errands or to give a frilly dress a touch of tomboy flirtiness, you’ll find so many ways to work them into your wardrobe.
- If you find a pair of boutique jeans that are super flattering and fit you comfortably, scoop them up without a second thought! These will go with just about anything.
Don’t feel pressured to buy a new piece of clothing just because it’s available. Especially when it comes to staples you’ll style with tons of different outfits, it’s important you feel confident that you’ll actually wear them over and over again.
Work in some of the latest trends.
It’s not uncommon to want to find a way to add some fashion-forward pieces to your collection, and you don’t have to step too far outside your comfort zone to make your new year look feel extremely here and now.
- Cushioned headbands are both trendy and practical! Add them to your look for a dash of preppiness.
- Oversized jackets combine the professionalism of an ’80s working girl with the comfort of what you’d wear for weekend errands.
- Animal prints continue to be extremely popular, and even though they’re very fashion-forward, they’re generally versatile enough to act as neutrals.
When you’re working new trends into your wardrobe, remember that you don’t need to splurge on every it-girl item for the new year. Costume jewelry is a great way to bring in a new trend without breaking the bank, while it’s never worth it to purchase something you don’t think you’ll ever wear!
Keeping Style Resolutions
As with any new year’s resolution, you might be nervous to make a fashion commitment without being sure you can stick to it, but if you always keep your personal style top of mind, it’ll be easy to make small changes that still feel true to you.