The Australian Dental Association reported good and not-so-good news on oral health in 2020. The good news is a larger population has been choosing fluoridated toothpaste over other brands. Be that as it may, people who access dental care remain unchanged, which may lead to health problems in the long run.
Hence, professionals advise we should have good oral hygiene. A routine visit to a dentist capalaba can help in the early detection of dental issues.
Regular dental check-ups
Dentists recommend that you have a check-up and cleaning every six months. During these sessions, your dentist will take a general assessment of your oral health to see if there’s anything that needs special attention. Your doctor will check for gum recessions, loose or broken teeth, staining, decay areas, damaged fillings, and the state of dental appliances you wear, such as braces. It also includes an examination of the joints and muscles around your jaw.
Your cheap dentist tarneit will let you know if there’s any dental treatment you need and will devise a timely treatment plan. In some cases, an x-ray is needed before an appointment or afterward. This will help your dentist monitor concerns that cannot be seen by the naked eye or confirm a concern they observed during the check-up.
There is a dental cleaning portion during these consultations. This part includes the removal of tartar and plaque on your teeth. Then, remineralization treatment is applied. If you tend to be sensitive at this stage, your dentist can use numbing creams to help you be more relaxed.
In between dental check-ups, you must develop an oral-care routine at home. There are very simple measures you can do for personal maintenance.
- Brush your teeth twice a day. The best time is after breakfast and before going to bed. We produce less saliva when we sleep, and this increases the chance of decay. Brushing your teeth before bed reduces this risk.
- Use fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride strengthens the enamel in teeth so it can resist acids from oral bacteria. Acids cause the loss of minerals from teeth. Fluoride reverses this through remineralization and thus reduces cavities and tooth decay. Don’t forget to thoroughly clean your tongue and gums too.
- Floss daily, preferably before bed. Flossing removes plaque and food debris between your teeth, which ordinary brushing may miss.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months. The bristles of your toothbrush wear out as you use them multiple times a day. Get a new one after an illness, too, since toothbrushes accumulate bacteria.
- Keep in touch with your dentist. If you find any concern during this routine, visit your dentist for a check-up.
When you have a dental concern that needs urgent attention, contact a local clinic or a dentist capalaba has right away.
The following are the most common dental emergencies.
Having your tooth knocked is a major dental emergency, and you need to see your dentist within an hour. The same constitutes a partially dislodged tooth (either very loose or displaced in the gums). Cracked or chipped teeth can also be painful and need attention.
A severe toothache indicates decay and cavity. When untreated, these will only aggravate the pain and may lead to more serious issues. Best go on the side of caution and have your teeth checked.