The fabrication process of welding involves joining two or more parts throughhigh heat: melting the parts together and leave to cool as they fuse. Welding is used not onlyon metals or thermoplastics but also on wood. The welded joint is referred to as a weldment.
This article discusses common welding processes, machines used in welding, and the welding machines prices in Kenya.
Types of welding processes and welding machines
The common types of welding machines comprise of the following;
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) or MIG Machine
A MIG welding machine uses both bare wire and flux core. Bare wire MIG welding fuses thin pieces of metal. With Flux core MIG welding no flow meter or gas supply is needed hence can be used outdoors.
The welding process uses a consumable wire called an electrode and a shielding gas (like Argon) that passes through the welding gun and shields against atmospheric contamination.
MIG welding is used in the automotive industry for repairing vehicle exhausts, in robotics and is also used in construction.
- TIG Machine orGas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW)
Similar to Gas Metal-Arc Welding, Gas Tungsten Arc Welding also uses an electric arc. TIG machinesrequire an electrode made of tungsten – a strongmetal that will not dissolve or burn off. TIG machines also use a gas shield such as argon or helium to buffer from contamination.
TIG welding can be intimidating but, it is valuable. Usuallyused to weld most conventional metals including aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, nickel, copper, and cobalt.
Utilized in aerospace and race car fabrication, in farms, and jewelry making.
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) or Stick Machine
Also known as Manual Metal Arc welding or Stick welding. One can useboth Alternating current and Direct Current. They are portable since the machine does not use an added gas shield so there is no tank to carry around. Stick welding machines are used in heavy equipment maintenance and repair, underwater pipelines, and construction.
Welding can happen outside in interior locations or indoors: not recommended for overhead welding. Least expensive to get started.
- Flux-cored Arc Welding (FCAW)
Just like Gas Metal Arc, Flux-cored Arc welding uses continuous wire and an electric arc. The process involves combining a base metal and a continuous electrode. The electrode – a hollow tube packed with flux – is fed through a welding gun and onto the weld pool. A flux shield buffers when welding outdoors. This type of welding is used in ship fabrication, pipeline welding, welding thicker metals, and manufacturing.
Factors to consider when looking for a welding machine in Kenya
We always want to purchase quality items. When looking for a welding machine, you want to go with a device that will do the intended job and last longer. Additionally, it is vital to stay within your budget.Therefore, consider these factors before acquiring a welding machine in Kenya;
- An important factor. Welding machines prices in Kenya vary depending on the brand and functionality – especially now that there are multi-purpose welding machines in the market. The range is between Kshs 10,000/= and Kshs. 40,000/= for home use. For commercial use, the price can be up to Kshs. 500,000/=
- What is the intended use of this welding machine? Is it commercial or for use at home?
- The type of material one will use.
- Who is the manufacturer? Can you find spare parts easily in Kenya?
- Confirm the authenticity of the vendor and the warranty of the machine. Also,look outfor counterfeit machines.Purchase from accredited companies.
- Cost of accessories that come with the machine.
- The size and weight of the machine are ofsignificance; will you move around with the device,or will it be in a workshop?
- Power source and whether it is ideal.
- The welding process that suits your preference;
The welding industry expands everyday. So there is a market for welding equipment. It is about time we manufactured welding equipment locally. For more information, visit https://weldingmachines.co.ke