“The Human Voice is the most perfect instrument of all”
A profound quote indeed! It would be no exaggeration to say that this gift of God should be well taken care off by one and all, especially by singers who are aiming to make it big in the music industry.
I, myself having learnt carnatic music, recall the tips given by my guru to ensure I took good care of my voice to help me breeze through my practice sessions as well as performances. So, here are some dos and don’ts that will help you take care of your asset too:
- Try to enhance the environment where you plan to use your voice by reducing noise in the surrounding areas, maintaining adequate ventilation and humidity. This will ensure you do not have to talk or sing above high noise levels surrounding you. Moreover, you can use amplification only when necessary.
- Warm up your voice before singing by doing several things like gliding from a comfortable low note to high note and vice versa or humming since it keeps the air trapped in your body.
- Once the warming up is done, try to sit in a position that allows your neck & shoulders to relax but keep your back straight. Breathe in gently through the nose. Stick your tongue out of your mouth, past the teeth & lower lip, in preparation to exhale. This forward stretch of the tongue helps to open the airway at the vocal cords.
- Always maintain good posture like sitting or standing erect when speaking or singing. Avoiding hunchback. Another beneficial method of practicing better posture when singing is to lie down. This exercise assists you to keep your body in a straight line, which can then be imitated when you stand up.
- Refrain from yelling, screaming, talking or singing loudly since your vocal folds are likely to bang together harder, making them swollen and red.
- Maintain adequate hydration by consuming 3-4 liters of water per day & warm and non-caffeinated liquids during extended periods of vocal usage. Limiting your alcohol intake will benefit immensely.
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet by avoiding spicy, acidic and dairy foods if you are sensitive to them. Avoid eating or drinking within 3 hours of going to bed.
- Continue with voice warming and physical fitness regime on a daily basis.
- Last but not the least, obtain adequate sleep every night.
Trust me, by toeing the above line, you will be able to maintain a healthy vocal and your vocal folds will profusely thank you for it!
In current times, online music classes are a boon for beginners learning to sing. It is believed in the industry that you can be good at singing if you have the passion, talent besides being at the right place at the right time. So, sit back and use this time to not just learn. But also listen to good music on various platforms to extend your musical know how.
At the same time, if learning from experts is your preference, we have just the right person for you. “Learn singing online with Monali Thakur” in her unluclass and learn from her first-hand the art of singing. Thakur is recipient of the prestigious National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer and several others, while judging a plethora of television shows. The “Learn singing online with Monali Thakur” class takes you through her journey and Thakur shares valuable lessons in this course. Subscribe and learn singing online now!