Working with a Green Card Lawyer to Walk You Through the Immigrating Process

For immigrants, a green card is their key to becoming a U. S. citizen. When you have a green card, you can legally live and work in the country. Immigrants can get a green card through family members, as refugees or asylees, or through their employers. This is a lengthy process but a Dallas green card lawyer can walk them through it. 

Obtaining a Green Card Through Family

Immediate relatives to a U. S. citizen or a green card holder can be petitioned by the latter to get legal permanent residency. This is the fastest option to get a green card. Citizens in the U. S. can petition for immediate relatives such as spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21. and parents who are more than 21 years old. 

Apart from immediate relatives of U. S. citizens, a petition can also be filed using a preference relative status which includes unmarried adult children of U. S citizens, spouses of green card holders, unmarried children who are more than 21 years old of permanent residents, married children of U. S. citizens, and siblings of adult citizens. 

Obtaining a Green Card Through Employment

This category deals with an employer and includes green card opportunities through a specialized job or investment. It includes the following:

  • Permanent employment. Those who get a job offer for a permanent job in the U. S. can file a petition that includes their employer. The employer will need to get a labor certification from the United States Department of State. 
  • Investors. Green cards are available for investors who are willing to put in significant amounts of money into U. S. businesses. The investor should invest at least $1 million into a new business or half of this amount into an established business. Also, it has to create a minimum of ten jobs within the country. 
  • Priority workers. People with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, as well as multinational managers and executives can get a green card called an EB-1 visa. These individuals are considered best in their field. 

Being Refugees or Asylees

People who arrive in the U. S. as refugees or asylees can apply for a green card a year after their entry into the United States. This applies to their immediate family members. 

Even for a qualified green card applicant, the application process can be complex and long. If you make a simple mistake, you may need to go back to square one. But, when you work with an immigration attorney, you can avoid making mistakes and ensure your application goes through smoothly. 

Recent Post